It’s a hard fact of life – beards just don’t come easy for some guys. For some men, growing facial hair is a complete afterthought, and yet for others it’s an uphill battle. Another harsh truth is that for guys who don’t have great natural facial hair, there’s no magic solution that can turn things around overnight. However, that doesn’t mean there’s absolutely nothing you can do. With a few lifestyle changes, it’s entirely possible to improve the quality of your beard.
The Science of Beards
First, let’s take a look at what makes beards grow in the first place. Your genes are a preeminent factor in facial hair growth. It’s a hereditary trait, so having many men in your family with full beards increases your chances of having one yourself. Additionally, hormones produced by your body trigger beard growth. Testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) really kick in after puberty, which is when facial hair first starts to show. The timeline of these hormones’ potency varies from person to person – some men don’t start growing full beards until they reach their 30s.
How to Better Your Beard
Even though your facial hair’s destiny is mostly controlled by genetics and body chemistry, there are several things you can do to improve it. By making just a few changes, you can boost the state of your beard.
- Eat Right: Your diet can have a big impact on the way your beard grows. Folic acid is a key nutrient for hair growth, found in leafy green vegetables, nuts, and whole grains. You should also keep an eye out for foods with biotin, a water-soluble B-vitamin. It can be found in eggs, bananas, carrots, beans, fish, liver, and certain vegetables. You can add a biotin supplement to your daily routine if you like, but it’s best to get your biotin from fresh foods.
- Get Some Exercise: Any gym aficionado knows that the key to healthy testosterone production lies in a healthy exercise routine. Find ways to keep active in your everyday life, even when you can’t make it to your preferred fitness destination. And when you do actually make it to the gym, focus on resistance training to get the most testosterone bang for your buck.
- A Good Night’s Sleep: Aside from being well-rested to tackle the day, getting a full night’s sleep will also help you grow your beard. Aim for seven to ten hours of sleep every night. Your body produces lots of testosterone during deep REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, so get as much as you can to maximize your body’s natural chemical processes.
- Take Care of Your Skin: Devoting a little bit of your day to protecting your face can pay off in the long run. The dirt that collects on your face can easily block hair follicles and prevent healthy beard growth, so make sure you’ve got a solid skin care routine. Use a gentle exfoliating mask with natural extracts at least once a week, and regularly wash/moisturize your face.
- Use Some Beard Oil: And of course, beard oil is your friend. A good beard oil will leave your beard looking shiny, smooth, and fuller than ever. Wash your beard often, and then condition it with beard oil, using a beard comb to evenly distribute it and make sure you’re not missing any spots.
Bearded Bastard’s oils are made by hand with natural ingredients in Austin, Texas. You can choose from multiple scents, or look into our other grooming products like beard balm, cologne, mustache wax, and more. Check out our selection today and start living the Bastard life.